Sunday, May 15, 2011

Buzz and the Little Green Men

If you're keeping up with the theme park visitors, you'll know that there's only one munchkin left!
Four year old 'C' can't get enough of Buzz Lightyear and his intergalactic adventures.

If you're keeping up with me and my cookie adventures, you'll know that.....I don't do faces.
As in...I'll try anything to not have to do them. 

Not the little faces that just look like someone cute (like yesterday's pirates), but faces that need to be recognizable.  

But...this little man is the same age as my little man...I couldn't resist at least trying...


Oh the torture....









I have to say, I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome....

but in the interest of 'keeping it real', I thought I'd show you a little of the process...




Step 1- find yourself a willing model that will sit still....





Okay, got that...




Step 2 - put on your big girl pants and just do it (highly technical, I know).






Step 3 - try not to cry when you realize it's not going well....

I practiced on a few actual cookies too.  Luckily Ethan ate those before I got a picture (they were REALLY bad).  




The eyes were the hardest part.  They were huge when I tried to put them onto a 'dried' face.
Wet on wet flood was getting closer, but then his teeth just got bigger and bigger.

...and he looked nothing like buzz lightyear.  He looked more like...demented pirate who just spotted Cinderella and was coming up with a plan.  Not quite appropriate for a 4 year old.


Step 4 - give up and have a cocktail....(I'm fabulous at this step)


Step 5 - Fret for many weeks.... There is actually a pretty good side effect to this step.  You come up with some amazing things in the meantime that have nothing to do with what you're supposed to be working on!


In the end, I found a book on the bookshelf in Jack's room and decided to make royal icing transfers.
I was able to trace the outlines on waxed paper taped onto the page on the book.  All the details were added afterwards.  




*warning* techie cookie info...I piped the eyes directly onto the waxed paper with a 0 tip and added the black with a toothpick while still wet.  Then, did the purple hoodie thing and let it dry.  I flooded the face around the eyes and was able to direct the icing with a toothpick to get them the correct size and shape.









All in all, I think they look enough like Buzz to get by.  









I always like the little pieces that go with the main character the best....





Little Green Men






Some snack-size stars





Can't forget the letter cookies!






And that's it!!!!




Of course....I did have one more little surprise up my sleeve.....I'll save that for tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by!

Lizy B

4 comments:

  1. You are so amazingly talented and patient!!! This is great!
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I think you really nailed it with these Buzz faces! My little guy (3 1/2 yrs) loves Buzz too. He would go nuts. I'll be sure to refer to your techniques come birthday time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thay turned out great. You are truly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! You have quite an eye for detail not to mention a VERY steady hand! =D

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments (yup...I read each and every one!!!), thanks for taking the time to type out your thoughts! They truly make my day!

Your questions are so much fun, and I try to answer them by emailing you back directly. Please make sure you are not a 'no-reply' blogger so I can reach you!

Thanks everyone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...